I've had this happen to me a couple of times.....I usually renew it for an extra year...if the buyer contacts me I tell them I renewed it and if they want the name they have to pay the reg fee to me.If not....I'm prepared to keep the name...
I'm not going to quite the exact price, but it was xxx, less than $500.
PS. Jammer - Thanks for your input .. Rep+!..
If it was a com or net, or an extension less then 10 for renewal, I would eat the cost for the person. In 6 months, I would send a final letter saying you are keeping it...
I wouldn't eat the cost. If they can't be bothered to take possession of the name, then they either don't want it or they need to reimburse you for any additional costs you may have incurred.
I've had this happen to me in the past. I tried contacting the buyer several times over a 3 month period with absolutely no response. I held onto the domain for about 6 months after that and then sold it... I'm not running a warehouse here.....
Maybe he was taken off by aliens ... or maybe he went on a trip to hawii to celebrate the domain and his ship broke down and he is in a lonely island with no contact or computer....guys give him some time...maybe 3 more months..
If you pay the renewal fee, he/she should at a minimum repay you for that. However, the exact time frame would probably be decided by your own moral compass, not some hard and fast rule..
Thanks to everyone for their input, I think I'll renew the name, even though not a .com, but still brings in a buck or so a day parked, It's worth the renewal, but I'm just not sure when to let go. I'll wait another month or so, along with a few more mails, and see what happens.
Thanks once again,.
PS. Let's hope he didn't get abducted by aliens!..
Why would you want to let it go if it's making $1+ every day?..
I guess whats morally and financially best is to renew and keep it..
Consider this, youre getting your name back for a much lesser amount than you got paid..
Renew it and keep it. Dont just sell it yet, wait for like 6 months. Moral stuff would wash off in 6 months coz after that I dont think the buyer will come back. But in case he does, you can charge him the renewal fee and a little extra for the botheration it cost you...