If it's a couple of thousand you could wait for a bit more.
Maybe the person cannot raise the funds immediately but would pay you when he/she can. Maybe not. If he has a good history he's a strong bet I would presume.
It does happen from time to time. If and when Sedo establish the buyer is not going to pay they cancel the transaction and (I think) their account as well...
I'm in the same boat...been two weeks now, and the Sedo rep won't communicate with me. So much for enforcing the "legal obligation" of the transaction...
If the bidder needed more time, I have not problem waiting. But the bidder doesn't return any of the calls of the French rep for Sedo. So no one knows his story. His past purchases have gone through fine, until now...
At the very best Sedo will give you the details of the person (no guarantee) but enforcing the sale is probably difficult anyway...
See if you can find out the identity of the buyer, cancel the sale at Sedo, and try to negotiate a payment plan on your own; only transfer domain upon sale completion.
In my view Sedo is basically only an advertising venue - they don't enforce anything ... heck, they reportedly don't even enforce their own auctions - do some searching for horror stories of Sedo re-running auctions after winning bidders had already paid Sedo.
Sedo is a crapshoot ... it's great when it works, but realize that most times, it's best to find out who the buyer / seller is and deal direct ... you'll save the 10%, save hassles, save time, and most importantly more likely get the deal done.
I had the same issue with a French bidder last month for just $330.
He did not answer at all at SEDO , I was really near to close the transfer.....and suddenly after more than 1 month , he paid.
It must be a "French thing" maybe?..
Sedo is a crapshoot, crap being the operative term. Every transaction I've had there has resulted in a deadbeat buyer.
I'd like to think there may still be some hope (I have an auction ending in a few hours), but I won't hold my breath..
Herb, I hope you don't play any form of luck-based games too often :-)..
I asked the Sedo guy to tell his French counterpart to give the bidder more time if they need it but insist on a deadline. I doubt it will work, but worth a try. I will request the name and account termination from Sedo if it doesn't...
I hear Sedo are less forthcoming than Afternic in terms of sharing non-paying buyer's data, but if so I really hope their policy changes soon!..
Sedo just told me they couldn't get the funds from the buyer. They said, "Unfortunately we haven't received the payment yet. Please note that you have a contract with the buyer and shouldn't he send the payment you will be possible to initiate legal actions against the buyer.".
But they wouldn't give me his name or contact info. Tough to contact him without it.
"Due to legal regulations we are not allowed to provide you with the sellers.
Phone number or e-mail address."..
Gotta love Sedo's doublespeak. Which legal regulations ? US, German ?
Sedo e-mailed me and showed me how to find the buyer's name and mailing address found in the contract that's posted after they give up, but would not give telephone number or e-mail. My buyer was from Malaysia; I don't think mailing him a letter will do much...
UPDATE: Apparently, my patience has paid off! Sedo says they have received the money and I pushed the domain to them this morning. Giving the buying a few more days (or weeks) did make a difference in this case...